Motivation

The second in my "brown bag" series at work wasn't really a brown bag at all. Given the expansive possibilities in the topic and limited time in which to work with them, I decided to do this one as a self-guided installation. I had a lot of fun researching and designing the materials for this one!

I divided the room into three stations:

  • Drive
  • Find Your Why
  • Management 3.0 
Each station had a large sticky note on which I wrote out some highlights of that particular approach to motivation, an interactive portion, and at least one printed takeaway. For Drive I made up a bunch of true/false questions; for Find Your Why there was a thing to match the company to their public mission statement, and for Management 3.0 I printed out a bunch of Moving Motivators card sets. 


As it happens, hardly anybody came, because we're updating Jira this weekend and there was a meeting scheduled about that which conflicted with mine. I admit that this was frustrating; motivation is a subject that is dear to my heart, if only because I've been thinking so much about my own for the past year.

I feel like the world would only be improved if more people understood their own priorities in this respect and could articulate them clearly. Mine have changed dramatically over the course of my working life. Having this understanding is allowing me to make choices more clearly, because I can frame the decision in the context of which option brings me closer to what I truly want, which one is most closely aligned with my priorities.

So even though only a few people showed up, it was useful for me right now, and perhaps it will be useful to others in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Handling Meetings with Remote Attendees

Agile Transitions as Self-Sustaining Reaction

Shu Ha Ri Skeptic