Learning Opportunities

After 2 1/2 years of doing the job on a part-time basis, yesterday I had my first interview for a Scrum Master position. I did not get the job -- I didn't particularly expect to, my first time out -- but it was an interesting experience. At least now I know what kind of questions people tend to ask prospective Scrum Masters, and they gave me some feedback on my interview style, which I suppose might be useful.

There were a lot of, "Tell us about a time when you solved a problem" style questions, which I more or less expected. There were some very specific questions posed about their company and their team situation, some which I was able to address better than others. There were a lot of questions about how I ended up in Scrum from tech writing, which on the one hand is obviously a common reaction to my resume, and on the other hand started to annoy me by the end of the afternoon -- not least because it looked like the nine people I spoke to had not coordinated at all. With only thirty minutes per interview slot, that ended up wasting a fair amount of time repeating the same information.

That aside, I have some notes and some things to think about when the next opportunity rolls around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Handling Meetings with Remote Attendees

Agile Transitions as Self-Sustaining Reaction

Shu Ha Ri Skeptic