Retrospective Activity - Moving Motivators

A while back my perusal of Management 3.0 posts led me to an exercise called Moving Motivators. I did it by myself and thought it was interesting, and I've been wanting to try more exploratory kinds of activities with my team in our retrospectives. I thought this might be a good one, but I was determined to start small. We had an hour set aside for the entire retro, and I thought ten minutes was a good slice for something like this while still letting us talk about the sprint.

This an existing team that has had several members join recently, one of whom has previous experience with this same group but has been on a different team for a long while now, and two who do not. So I thought this might be both fun and useful as an introduction of sorts.

I printed out a bunch of card sets and asked everyone to spend a few minutes sorting them. (Mine had changed even since the last time I did the exercise.) Curious though I was about everyone on the team, I had them pair up and spend a few minutes talking just to one another about their results rather than presenting to the whole group. I participated, too, and enjoyed hearing about one of my team's motivations -- not least because they're very different from my own.

The most common question that came up while I was explaining the activity was whether the order was supposed to reflect whether that motivator was being supplied right now. I emphasized that this was general and not intended to reflect their current position -- I didn't try to bring the "what about ___ possible change" aspect of the game into our conversation.

Since I was engaged in my own conversation, I didn't get a chance to listen in on anyone else's, but conversations were clearly happening; we filled up my modest time-box without any awkward silences. I encouraged everyone to leave feedback but didn't require it; I got one note that said it was "interesting".

I was encouraged by the level of engagement. Not entirely sure how to follow up on this, although I left the door open for doing it again in the future, with different pairs of people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Handling Meetings with Remote Attendees

Agile Transitions as Self-Sustaining Reaction

Shu Ha Ri Skeptic