Give Thanks for Scrum 2017

This was my first time at this event, and my second time at an Agile Boston event (I recognized a couple of people from the last one I attended). I went with one of my coworkers, which turned out to be a good thing, as one of my criticisms of the event is that it wasn't well set up for meeting people.

There was a sort of ice-breaker thing halfway through the morning -- everyone got a piece of a playing card and was supposed to find the person with the other piece -- but with two hundred-some people in a single very loud room, I don't think it was a success. During most of the breaks, the two of us went for a walk; fresh air and a change of view becomes very important in such an environment.

The programming was interesting. The overall theme was around using Scrum in non-software environments. There was also a lot of talk about scaling. When it comes to scaling agile methods, I am an interested skeptic, partly because I have a strong bias against pretty much anything that happens at large scale. That aside, the more layers of communication you have, the more noise creeps in, and the idea that a "scrum of scrum of scrums" could really function -- well, it surprises me. I will take them at their word, but its not a task I would personally take on. As much as I appreciate Scrum, as the day went on, I found that I would have liked to hear an alternate viewpoint to the Scrum is the Way, the Truth etc. model that suffused the event.

There were a lot of interesting nuggets in the presentations, though, and I will try to encapsulate some of them here: 
  • Scaling agile means getting it right on the small scale first, then expanding from there -- descale in order to scale successfully.
  • 30% of the projects on your list are probably a waste of time.
  • No matter how many layers of Scrum you have, ship at the end of the sprint (at least). 
  • Lack of agility at the leadership level is a common blocker
  • Agile as an operating system. 
  • Managing globally distributed teams: "Let's take something complicated and make it even harder!" 
  • How do you measure a Scrum team in dollars? Don't.
  • There are a whole lot of busted agile implementations out there. 
  • "Nobody is allowed to tell anybody to do anything." Jeff
  • An organization is only as fast as its feedback/recovery cycle. 
  • We invest in avoiding problems rather than growing the resilience to deal with them. 
  • There are no best practices. 
  • Leadership should adopt Scrum first. 
The final two sessions were more rah-rah than informative. There was a macho undertone to the event that I found, well, interesting. There was only one woman speaker, and the audience was considerably more diverse than the presenters. The examples used of companies implementing Scrum in these unorthodox, all-pervasive ways included Tesla, SpaceX, and Saab -- makers of things that go fast and blow stuff up, in the case of the Saab fighter planes -- 3M (engineering), and Valve (everyone loves Valve). Pictures of engineering workspaces showed all-male teams. Jeff Sutherland twice mentioned someone's martial arts expertise as relevant to his (it was a man both times) work as a Scrum Master. I found it rather off-putting.

I think it was a day well spent. It's generally a good idea to get out there and see what people outside of my own small niche are doing, and to connect with that community energy. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Handling Meetings with Remote Attendees

Agile Transitions as Self-Sustaining Reaction

Shu Ha Ri Skeptic