Review: Drive

I put this one on my to-read list as it seems to be hyper-popular in the Agile community. This one fits into that idea space easily, with its premise that people are far more effectively motivated by internal and intrinsic forces vs external ones -- that once the basic needs are met, people start wanting more intangible rewards. This plays very well with the idea of self-organization and devolving decision-making power to lowest possible level in your company. 

Autonomy, mastery, purpose -- simple enough to fit on an envelope, and like so many simple things, a stone bitch to make work in a concrete setting. It's an optimistic book, and I want to like it, but I did find it frustratingly short on implementation ideas. Sure, if I ever go out and start my own company, I'll be sure to keep this in mind, but for those of us toiling in traditionally structured companies, what are the options? Other than buying our CEO a copy to leave on their desk, I suppose. If we long for purpose in our work, where are we supposed to find it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Handling Meetings with Remote Attendees

Agile Transitions as Self-Sustaining Reaction

Shu Ha Ri Skeptic